Housing academic support services for students from their freshman year through graduation, the Center for Academic Development is one of the College’s busiest and most vital facilities. With a federal grant the College was able to construct a new, technologically rich facility suitable for the program’s need and heavy use. Its location was the south end of the College’s Main Quad. The program required 12,500 sf of space for technology based classrooms, labs, tutoring and meeting rooms, along with supporting administrative offices.
- Define the southern edge of the Quad
- Respond to both institutional and residential scaled buildings
- Incorporate an arcade to provide a strong path to Westminster Hall
- Preserve view of the Westminster Hall tower with one-story massing
- A single loaded corridor allows the building to fit within a narrow site
- Elevator placement provides barrier-free access to Schweitzer Hall