Student Financial Services
Bloomfield College wanted to create a new Student Financial Services area combining the Financial Aid and Bursar’s offices to allow students to deal with financial transactions in one easy step. The 1st floor space in Knox Hall constructed in 1913, to house the main area was originally the College’s chapel and had long since been altered for different uses. The project required reorganization, renovation and alteration of the 1st & 2nd floors of the building and the introduction of a new central HVAC system. For a small institution, this project had to be mindful of budget.
- To restore, respect and complement the beauty of the original spaces while providing a highly functional workplace.
Design Approach/Key Elements
- Minimize alterations
- Remove all past renovations and expose & restore the original detailed plaster ceilings
- Illuminate ceilings with properly scaled pendant fixtures
- Complement the beauty of the original architecture by introducing new elements in a simple and clean manner in a more human scale
- Conceal HVAC and technologies in abandoned shafts and the new construction
- Heighten awareness of new & old with a simple but bold color palette